Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

LITS Student Guide: 2020-2021

Frequently Asked Questions

Will the library be open? 

Currently all LITS services are offered remotely and the building is closed. Beginning February 1st, limited space within LITS will be available for student study via appointment in the EMS system. See the LITS Spring Space page for details. 

How do I return my library materials?‚Äč

You may return books, CDs, and DVDs via the external book drop at the Main library which is open 24/7. Please remember, there is no immediate need to return items. Due dates have been extended through February 3, 2021 for Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College and UMass books. Smith loans have not been extended through the spring semester. Books can be renewed, and students are still welcome and encouraged to bring items back when they return to campus.  See Returning Materials for more information.

I found a book in the library catalog, but I'm not on campus. How do I get it?

If it is a book recommended or required for class, we suggest contacting the instructor for more information. See our course materials page for more information. If it is a book for research, we suggest looking for an ebook or requesting it though ILL

How do I get software I need for my class?

Visit the software page on this guide to see what is available for students. You may also be able to connect to the software using Remote Computer Labs

How do I get access to my course materials?

LITS reviews all required texts listed in my.mtholyoke and provides an ebook version of these resources whenever possible.  Links to these ebooks will be found in your Moodle course. PDFs of articles and streaming video for required course reading and viewing may also be in your Moodle course. See the Course Materials page for more information.

I found an ebook that's only available at one of the Five College libraries. How can I get access to it?

If you need an ebook that is only available through other Five Colleges (Amherst, Hampshire, Smith, or UMass), the best thing to do is to submit an InterLibrary Loan (ILL) request. Under current conditions, it is more likely that we will be able to fill requests for specific chapters than entire ebooks. If you only need certain chapters, or certain chapters could meet your need, let us know!

Will Pratt Music Library, The Language Resource Center, or Archives and Special Collections be open?

Pratt Music Library and the LRC are currently closed. Contact the Circulation Services team at for help finding resources in both locations. For information about Archives and Special Collections, visit their LITS webpage, or email

Who can I contact for help?


MHC Accessibility Barriers Form