Skip to main content

Video Copyright: Showing Videos on Campus?

Video Screenings and Public Performance Rights

Section 110(1) of the Copyright Law, Title 17, U.S. Code allows for "performance or display of a work by instructors or pupils in the course of face-to-face teaching activities of a nonprofit educational institution, in a classroom or similar place devoted to instruction." 

In most other cases, public performance rights (PPR) are needed to give you the right to legally screen videos in a public setting, even for a non-paying audience.  Videos are usually considered "home use" only unless they have been purchased or licensed with PPR.

"Home use" can include a dorm room or other private space, but where showings are limited to a "normal circle of a family and its social acquaintances."  The only exception to this is the face-to-face teaching exemption noted above.

Do I Need to Obtain Public Performance Rights?

if the screening is open to the public, such as showing a foreign-language film to the community for cultural enrichment.

if privately viewing the film in your room with friends.

if the screening is in a public space - dorm lounge, library, auditorium, etc - where access is not restricted.

if an instructor is showing the film to officially registered students in a classroom, where content of film directly relates to course.

if persons attending are outside the normal circle of family and acquaintances, such as showing a film to a club or organization, or showing a film for class but inviting others to attend.

if the film is part of our Kanopy streaming service and is accessed through the Mount Holyoke College network. Our Kanopy license allows for group viewing.

For Instructors especially, if you need additional help determining if you need public performance rights, try this interactive tool:

Streaming Video

LITS can stream MHC library owned videos that are integral to the classroom experience of a course.  Streaming videos are only available to registered students in the course through the course's password protected Moodle site.  Faculty can find details at How to Submit Video Requests.  LITS also subscribes to the Kanopy streaming service, which includes a wide variety of documentaries, indie and foreign films, classics, and blockbuster movies.  Our Kanopy license allows for group viewing both inside and outside of classroom instruction.  Please note that commercial streaming services, like Netflix and Amazon, are for "home use" only.

How to Obtain Public Performance Rights

Securing public performance rights is the responsibility of the person or group screening the film.  The Library generally does not purchase videos with PPR. Students and student organizations can work with the Office of Student Programs for assistance.

It is best to begin your PPR research early -- give yourself at least 2 weeks lead time before you plan to screen/show a film. You will be searching for contact information -- a name, a phone number, an email, or a web address of the person(s) or company(ies) involved who control the copyright and/or the rights for the film.  Here is a good place to start:

Copyright Licensing Agents

  • Criterion Pictures USA is one of the largest non-theatrical providers of feature films in North America. In the United States, Criterion has exclusive relationships with some of Hollywood's largest film Studios, such as Paramount Pictures (select titles only), 20th Century Fox, Fox SearchLight, DreamWorks Animation, Troma Films, New Concorde, among others.

  • Swank Motion Pictures, Inc. is the major non-theatrical movie distributor and public performance licensing agent in venues where feature movies are shown publicly.

  • Motion Picture Licensing Corporation is an independent copyright licensing agency that provides the Umbrella License to ensure copyright compliance for the public performance of motion pictures.

  • Broadcast Music, Inc (BMI) represents over 350,000 creators of music, the songwriters, composers and publishers of more than 6.5 million musical works.

  • American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) licenses the right to perform songs and musical works created and owned by the songwriters, composers, lyricists and music publishers who are ASCAP members and also those members of foreign performing rights organizations who are represented by ASCAP in the United States.

If none of the above has the film, your next step is to go to Internet Movie Database. First, look up the title of the film. When you have arrived at the film's webpage, click on "company credits". Here, you'll see the distributor(s) listed. Once you have the name of the original distributor, try this list of distributor contacts.

If you still need assistance after completing the steps outlined above, please email

Springshare's information on Accessibility in Libguides - - MHC Accessibility Barriers Form