1. Turn editing on.
2. Click the "Add an activity or resource" menu in the section where you want the forum to live. Select "Forum" and click "Add".
3. Give the Forum a name. It should be something descriptive- what are they discussing?
4. Choose a forum type. For most purposes, a standard forum is fine. See this page for more info on the different forum types and uses.
5. Write a forum introduction.
6. Choose a subscription option.
8. Click save and return to course at the bottom.
9. You'll see the link to your forum on the main course page. Click it to enter the forum, or use the icon to change the name. Select Edit>Edit Settings to make additional changes.
10. Start a new discussion topic, or leave it to the students to start theirs.